Sharon Hodde Miller shares her sense that the overshare on social networks is not God-honoring.

I am grateful for persons who state better something I have been thinking. I am trying these days to share the learning adventures I have without airing the family laundry (both biological and church family). Read the full post at EdStetzer.com and follow Sharon at SheWorships

I want to examine a particular "abuse" of tweeting/posting status updates. It is the practice of posting at (what I would consider to be) inappropriate times. No, I'm not trying to be the Emily Post of social media etiquette here to lecture you on the rudeness of tweeting during a meeting or meal. The kind of "inappropriate" I'm referring to is one that not only impacts the quality of Christian discipleship but the authenticity of our church leaders.

I began to notice this misuse of social networking when friends updated their statuses while on dates with their spouses, or even on their wedding nights. Such an anti-social by-product of social media is ironic, to say the least. Yet out of those habits emerged a more troubling one: Tweeting about deeply personal, intimate moments. Although I understand the desire to share one's life with community, Twitter has gradually become a window into private moments and experiences that, in the past, would have been reserved for God and family.

Posted via email from Ministry Posts from Allen Bingham

No comments: